Can Eastern medicine help your cancer?

Western medicine encompasses all types of conventional medical treatment, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, and physical therapy performed by doctors, nurses and other conventional healthcare providers. It differs from Eastern or alternative medicine in that it relies heavily upon industrially produced medication and a strict adherence to the formal scientific process. 

Complementary vs. Alternative medicine

On the other hand, “complementary” and “alternative” are terms used to describe a number of products, practices, and systems that are not part of mainstream Western medicine. They can include things like herbs and dietary supplements, body movement, spiritual approaches, extracts, and creams or ointments. The American Cancer Society considers complementary and alternative medicine to be different from each other:
  • Alternative medicine is used instead of standard or mainstream medical treatment, often with serious outcomes for the patient.
  • Complementary medicine is used along with mainstream medical care. If carefully chosen and properly used, some of these can improve your quality of life without causing problems with your regular cancer treatment.

Treatments within Eastern Medicine

I’ve used several complementary treatments from Eastern Medicine, and successfully achieve a decrease in the side effects from my surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It’s important to check with your traditional doctor first before you decide to use any treatments within Eastern Medicine. Below is a list of my treatments, along with a brief description and the benefits I received.
  • Imagery - is the use of visualization techniques designed to enable the mind to influence the health and well being of the body. I found imagery very useful during my diagnostic testing when I underwent numerous MRIs and CT scans. I also found it to be effective in reducing my fear during radiation therapy, while imagining the radiation beam to be a healing light.
  • Massage - involves the manipulation, rubbing, and kneading of the body’s muscles and soft tissues with the use of oils, aromatherapy and soothing music. With each session of massage therapy I received, I experienced a decrease in my anxiety, depression, and bone pain. 
  • Polarity therapy - is a system of touch and movement using the positive and negative charges of the body’s electromagnetic energy field. Polarity was effective in restoring the balance of the natural flow of energy throughout my body.
  • Reiki - is a form of treatment used to manipulate energy fields within and around the body to liberate the body’s natural healing powers. It can be given in either a hands-on or hands-off format. Reiki is a Japanese word meaning “universal life energy.” Reiki was helpful in relieving my anxiety and allowing me to experience complete relaxation.
  • Acupuncture - is a technique in which very thin needles of varying lengths are inserted through the skin to treat a variety of conditions. Acupuncture was extremely helpful in treating my nausea caused by chemotherapy drugs and in relieving bone and muscle pain during both chemotherapy and radiation therapies.
  • Aromatherapy - is the use of fragrant substances distilled from plants, essential oils, to alter moods or improve health. They can be inhaled or diluted with olive oil and applied to the skin. I found peppermint oil to be effective in reducing the intensity of my hot flashes. I also found lavender oil to be effective in reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation. 
  • Yoga - is a form of nonaerobic exercise that involves a program of precise poses and breathing activities to create a union of mind, body, and spirit. Yoga continues to be effective in building my core strength, restoring balance, relaxation and physical fitness. 
  • Feng Shui - is the ancient Chinese philosophy of placing physical objects to promote the beneficial flow of vital energy or life force call chi and to allow humankind to live in harmony with the environment and the universe. I implemented the five elements of Feng Shui ~ Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water ~ when I constructed the Wellness Garden in my back yard. This garden became my sanctuary of healing during my cancer recovery. 
(Photo credit: Thomas Wanhoff, Massage from Rama Day Spa Frankfurt, www.commons.wikimedia.org)