Juicing vs. Blending

When I was first diagnosed with cancer, many people suggested that I start juicing. I had heard that juicing fruits and vegetables could provided benefits for the body, but I was somewhat skeptical. In my own research, I found that juicing was popular among those interested in alternative medicine. It is often used as an alternative means for fighting diseases such as cancer, strengthening cellular defense against free radicals, alleviating pain from migraines and decreasing the need for medication. Some people have been successful with juicing on a daily basis as an optional cure for their ailments. However, according to the American Cancer Society, “There is no convincing scientific evidence that extracted juices are healthier than whole foods.”

Juicing and chemotherapy

Before I began chemotherapy, I asked my oncologist for her advice. She discouraged juicing because it works against the goal of chemotherapy which is to oxidize the body - the process of killing cancer cells. However, she was fine with juicing after completion of treatment. My curiosity led me to research the difference between juicing and blending. According to Jason Manheim’s book, The Healthy Green Drink Diet, juicing contrasts from blending in the following ways:
Juicing provides both a quick nutritional boost and an energy boost. With all the fiber removed, the vitamins, enzymes and minerals in the juice enter your bloodstream almost immediately allowing your body to feel instantly refreshed and revitalized. In addition, it’s easily digestible without the bloating and heaviness.  
Blending is a complete meal. It includes the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, all the fiber, protein and fats. Blending involves less sugar since less fruit is needed to produce one glass of juice. It’s an easier cleanup since blending is a simple rinse-and-store.
The benefits of greens

I discovered in my reading that disease and destruction occurs more readily in a body that is mostly acidic. Greens such as spinach, kale, arugula, cabbage, broccoli, collards, chard and watercress, are very alkaline food. When greens are combined with fruits in either the juicing or blending process, they help regulate the blood to a healthier alkaline state. 

At first, I felt compelled to following recipes and shop for specific ingredients. After a few successful outings, I realized that I could experiment with creating my own juice drinks. This was when the fun really began! I stocked up on all kinds of seasonal fruits, frozen fruits, an assortment of greens and lemons, limes, ginger root, and mint leaves to give my juices an extra zing. I found that overripe fruits were the sweetest and most enjoyable in my drinks. Each morning, I’d come downstairs to the kitchen and survey which fruits were past their prime. Those were the ones I’d toss into the juicer along with two or three handfuls of greens and another handful of baby carrots. I learned to assemble and disassemble the power juicer in five minutes flat. As juicing became part of my regular routine, clean up became a breeze. I loved how the juice drinks made me feel vibrant, alert and alive. 

(Photo credits: "Greens" - Pinterest  and "Three glasses of fruit juice on white garden table" - iStockphoto)