Homemade Vegetable Soup with Artisan Bread

This is a great soup to make when you have several leftover vegetables in your refrigerator. I usually make it in the morning before I set out to do my grocery shopping. I gather up all the odd vegetables that are about to go bad, chop them up and throw them in my crock pot. When I come home from a day of meetings and appointments, my dinner is waiting for me!



Ingredients
  • carrots, chopped
  • celery, chopped
  • sweet bell peppers, sliced and chopped
  • small zucchini, sliced
  • cherry tomatoes, halved
  • leeks, split, washed, sliced
  • onion, peeled and chopped
  • frozen or fresh corn kernels
  • garlic, peeled and minced
  • fresh parsley, minced 
  • (6) cups of chicken broth
  • (1) bay leaf
  • salt & pepper to taste
Optional, for protein:
  • 1/2 cup of red split lentils, dry
  • 1/2 cup of small whole green lentils, dry
  • OR  (1 1/2) cups of cooked ham, cubed

Directions
  1. No need to measure. Instead, just gather up whatever leftover vegetables you have, wash and prepare them, and put them in your crock pot.
  2. Add the broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper on top.
  3. Bring to a boil then simmer gently on low for 3 to 4 hours. 
  4. Stir well and serve with warm Artisan bread. Enjoy!