Gray and spikey: Is this my new normal?

Last week, I graduated from radiation therapy and proudly rang the cow bell three times at the cancer center. I’m thankful to be done because it was more painful than I could have ever imagined. I experienced second degree burns to my chest wall and left arm which will take a least a month to heal. 

Lifestyle changes
With the completion of my treatments, I took a moment to reflect back on my cancer recovery during this past year. I’ve made some dramatic lifestyle changes. Gone are sweet deserts, cookie snacks, ice cream, and anything with sugar. Now, I’m busy learning how to use my Jack LaLanne juicer to create “green” drinks from an assortment of delicious fruits and vegetables. There’s a lot less television watching and sedentary activities as I’ve now incorporated working out at the gym four times a week into my schedule. 

Creating movement
How wonderful to have eye brows and eye lashes again! My hair is growing back, too - gray and spikey. I’ve always had long, curly hair so I wasn’t sure how to manage a short hair style. I recently made an appointment at the salon where the hair stylist shaped my sideburns into a point and showed me how to use texturing gel to create “movement” in my hair which apparently is the key to creating an edgy look. I must say that a short hair style is so much easier to keep up. Now I have an extra hour and half back in my morning that I can commit to exercising regularly.

Little things, Big things
I’ve also learned the value of each day. Life is precious and sweet. I no longer dwell on the little things, or even the big things for that matter. The hassle and turmoil are no longer worth it. Cancer can change your perspective on everything. I see people differently now. I’m more of an attentive listener. When I find myself interacting with someone who still smokes, drinks heavily or is obese, I want to hold their hand and share with them my journey to healthy living. 

How close death lives
On the other hand, I can’t just pick up my life and resume where I left off before the cancer began. There are physical, emotional, spiritual and financial issues that I need to learn to adjust to before I can get on with my life. Unlike people who've never had cancer, I know just how fragile the human body is and just how close death lives. This is an enormous emotional burden to carry. However, there is life after cancer. I do know what hope is and I’ve learned that hope is something cancer can never take from me. I’m so thankful for the second chance to live life passionately and fully. This is my new normal.