Exercise before, during and after cancer

Before I was diagnosed with cancer, I never had a regular exercise regimen. I would take random walks, maybe for 30 minutes, around the neighborhood once or twice a week. These walks were usually initiated when I felt guilty about over indulging in a dessert or spending an afternoon eating cookie dough. I never exercised for pleasure or to maintain a fit body. 

A year before my diagnosis, I became curious about yoga. I started attending beginning yoga classes twice a week and found that I enjoyed the experience. I continued to attend yoga actively during my diagnosis, surgery and chemotherapy because of the mind-body connection. Yoga gave me clarity and purpose in my life. It also helped alleviate some of the nausea associated with the chemotherapy. When chemotherapy started to make me dizzy during yoga class, I immediately found a substitute form of exercise that kept my head upright. I started jogging on the treadmill, followed by 30 minutes of light weight lifting. Eventually, I added twenty minutes on the elliptical trainer three times a week. For the first time in my life, I committed to exercising on a regular basis because I enjoyed the workouts and looked forward to the positive side effects of exercising - a better attitude, decreased depression, weight management, and increased muscle tone.

Exercise is important to an exceptional life because it promotes good health and life balance. While we are pursuing our passions and eating a healthy diet, we must find time in our weekly schedule for regular exercise at least three to five days a week. If you can’t think of how to exercise, then start by walking your neighborhood three times a week for thirty minutes at a time. There are many facilities in your community that offer classes and a complete weight resistance gym. Call your local community center, WMCA or fitness club. Here you will find adult classes in yoga, zumba, spinning, tai chi, and swimming. Seniors, over 50 years old, usually receive a discounted price so you can easily incorporate a few classes a week into your schedule for a nominal fee.


Consider joining a local bowling or bocce ball team. Not only will you benefit from exercise but you’ll also make new friends. My Father, who is well into his seventies, has always enjoyed bicycling. He belongs to two bicycling clubs which keep him cycling three times a week anywhere from 45 to 60 miles each day. In addition, these clubs plan weekend outings and camping trips which has enabled him to enjoy a full social life, too. If you’ve spent a good portion of your adult life as a couch potato, then it’s time to make a permanent lifestyle change by committing to getting yourself out of that old rut and get moving. By doing so you will become the example for your spouse, your children and everyone around you. 

(Photo credits: Tai chi - kootation.com; Yoga - boston.com; Zumba - casadecampoliving.com; Spinning - dreamstime.com)