Negative Energy vs. Positive Energy


When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, I was very frightened about my prognosis and whether I’d survive. Previously, I had watched friends and family members go through cancer treatments and found it very upsetting and scary. So given my fear, I decided to be an obedient patient and do everything my doctors told me to do. I thought by being submissive that my survival rate would increase and my fears would go away. In theory, I was operating with negative energy toward my cancer diagnosis. 

Interestingly, after I had completed all ‘required’ diagnostic testing before starting chemotherapy I found that I was still scared. Now, I was afraid that the chemotherapy drugs would weaken me and eventually kill me. I had been told by the oncology nurses that chemotherapy weakens the body and therefore I could expect to ‘feel bad.’ I was so fearful about my first infusion, that I rushed to address and mail all my Christmas cards by the first week of December just in case I didn’t survive the first round. I continue this negative energy through my first three chemo infusions.

Then something magical happened. I asked a friend, who is an 18 year cancer survivor, to take me to my fourth infusion. On the thirty minute drive to the oncology clinic, I expressed my fears and asked her what her secret was for surviving cancer so long. She told me about a book titled, “Love, Medicine, & Miracles” by Bernie Siegel, MD, that she had read during her cancer treatments. My friend explained that setting an intention to survive cancer had a positive affect on her healing process. So when I returned home, I began to research Dr. Siegel’s philosophy.
I discovered that through his work as a surgeon and founder of the Exceptional Cancer Patients therapy group, Dr. Siegel has learned that cancer patients who develop a healthy self-love and give up their emotional repression are able to improve their immune system, overcome cancer and improve their survival rate. He also wrote about individuals with a high inner locus of control who believe that events in their life are derived primarily from their own actions. In other words, patients who took control of their health and became active members of their medical team were shown to live longer.

It was then that I made a decision to change my attitude and to start operating with positive energy toward my cancer. I chose to receive twice weekly acupuncture treatments for my nausea, depression and bone pain. I also chose to start exercising twice a week using the treadmill and weight lighting to build up my endurance and to improve both my physical and mental health. After my fifth chemo infusion, I knew I was on the home stretch with only three more chemotherapy cycles to go. I no longer felt sad, vulnerable, helpless, nor fatal. I felt whole again. I felt determined to live!
Enhanced by Zemanta